Students Who Have Seriously Considered Leaving UGA
There's rich stuff. Allow me to hit a few high points (or low points, if you prefer):
- A quarter of all students (undergrad and grad) have considered leaving UGA, most of them in their first year as a student here.
- Thirty-eight percent of African American undergrads considered leaving.
- Forty-seven percent of tho undergrads with multiple disabilities considered leaving.
A few caveats. This was not a random survey, but rather a self-selected survey. See my methodological criticism of it here.
What are the top reasons students considered leaving? Here ya go:
- I didn't belong
- Campus climate was not welcoming
- Personal reasons (medical, mental, etc.)
- Financial reasons
- I didn't have a support group
There's a treasure trove of data here, starting points for stories about student life at UGA. The numbers alone are not a story. You need to find folks who illustrate the issues brought forth in the data. And you must include caveats about the survey itself. Indeed, the survey probably deserves a longish R&B piece, or a multi-part story with graphics and sidebars.