What boosts political knowledge for kids? Here are a few:
- Participation in youth activities
- Discussing politics with parents
- Grades in school (higher grades = more knowledge)
- Education level of parents
- Civics courses (this makes such good sense)
- Being a boy versus a girl (see an earlier blog on sex differences)
- Internal political efficacy (basically, the feeling you are capable of keeping up with politics)
The ultimate finding here? Parents matter. Talk about politics in front of your kids. Answer their questions. Explain the basics so they understand the context of your discussion. Engage them.
It also helps if parents know what the hell they're talking about. Read the news!