Monday, September 8, 2014

Time Trumps Data

Too little time, too much data. If I had the time, given the latest NBA racism kerfuffle, I'd merge two data sets and have something interesting to say about it all.

I wrote a bit about it last April, when the first NBA controversy arose. But the list of liking a sport is actually much longer. See my post here. What I really need to do, though, is merge two data sets to make it work. One has the sports attitudes, the other has a long list of racism measures. The same people completed both sets of interviews, a national survey that probably runs into a couple of thousand folks.

Sigh, time trumps data, because the merge -- while I've done it before -- can eat up a few hours when you add in time recoding variables, cleaning, and getting it up and running for analysis. It'd be fun, for example, to separate out white fans of various sports and see if and when racism plays a role. I suspect so.

No comments: