Thursday, November 25, 2010

European Knowledge

I just finished reading -- after much Thanksgiving turkey -- this story about how much Irish high school students know, or don't know, about their country compared to similar students in 36 countries.  The story isn't as clear as I'd like, but as best I can tell, Finland teens had the highest scores, followed by, well, you can follow the link and see for yourself.

Here's what the story doesn't tell us:
  • Who did the survey
  • Exactly what did they ask
  • When was the survey conducted
  • And by what method (phone, etc.)
  • Or a host of other niggling details I'd like to know.
Because, dammit, there's no link or even a mention of the source of the survey.  It covers the world, which immediately made me think of Pew's international surveys, but I don't think there's been one recently.  All in all, a poor story, but think of it as a holiday special as I engage in serious digestion.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: