If you look at the table you'll see few dramatic changes from 1997 to 2009:
- The ability to identify Freedom of the Press as a right has slightly increased from 11% to 16%.
- Freedom of Speech rose from 49% to 63%, then in 2009 hit 55%.
- Freedom of Religion has hovered around the 20% mark over time, with a few blips up and down.
- Right of Assembly/Association inched up from 10% to 14%.
- Right to Petition Doubled!!! Okay, to be fair, only from 2% to 4%.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.I'll discuss more of the trends found in these surveys as the week progresses.